Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Parents Visit to Taiwan

It's been a little over two weeks since my last post. During my time away from the Internet, I had a huge engagement party and traveled through Taiwan. My parents arrived around midnight on June 27th. Vivian, her mom, her dad, and her dad's friend uncle Yu all came to welcome them at their airport. We took a bus from Taipei CKS airport to Nantou and dropped my parents off at the Nantou Hotel. The trip from Taipei to Nantou, which I have taken probably ten times already, is quite boring. The major highway passes through the major cities, but they are all similar and after sometime it is no longer interesting to look outside the window. For the next couple of days, we were ordered by Vivian's father to arrive at the hotel no later than 8:30am to eat breakfast with my parents. Despite the fact that we started each day a bit tired, the schedule allowed us to have plenty of time for touring.

The first morning after my parents arrived we took a ride to the Nantou historical museum. I like museums, but I am often overwhelmed with information. I enjoy studying history from books and TV at my own pace, but when I go to museums I have a lot of trouble remembering what I saw. Most museums are not interactive and a vast majority of time is spent reading decriptions of pictures and artwork. Usually I remember about three facts out of a thousand. The Nantou historical museum explains the occupation of Taiwan by the Chinese, Japanese, and Dutch over the past couple of hundred years. I learned that Taiwan today is a country rich in culture from the native Taiwanese people and thier foreign influences. Later on in the day we visited Vivian's father at Best Kindergarton. Her dad is a manager at the school. The quality of this school beats any elementary school that I had seen in the USA. Vivian's parents treated my parents to a 30th Anniversary dinner at a Japanese restaurant. About thirty people, mostly friends of Vivian's dad, attended the dinner.

Nantou Historical Museum


Vivian's mom, Vivian, and I stayed up late preparing for the party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home